The Ford Super Duty® F-250, more commonly referred to simply as the Ford F-250, is one of the most capable heavy duty trucks currently on the market. This truck truly embodies the spirit behind the slogan “Built Ford Tough”, thanks in large part to its durability, range of powerful engines, and its towing capabilities.
When you’re towing heavy loads, numbers matter. Towing safety 101 includes ensuring that you’re staying within your vehicle’s maximum towing range. So, whether you’ve got a big boat, an RV, a horse trailer, or something else large and very heavy to tow, here’s what you need to know about the 2023 F-250 towing capacity.
The 2023 Ford F-250 towing capacity varies based on the engine, trim level, and option content you choose. Whether or not you’re hauling cargo and how much you’re hauling will also affect your towing capacity. The cab/bed style configuration you choose also will affect how much your specific F-250 HD truck can tow.
What’s more, F-250 towing can be broken up into two types: conventional and gooseneck/5th wheel towing. If you’re familiar with these categories, you’ll already probably suspect that the maximum gooseneck towing rating is higher than the conventional towing capacity.
That having been said, the conventional maximum 2023 Ford F-250 towing capacity is 22,000 pounds. F-250 models that can tow up to that amount include:
- 2023 Ford F-250 Supercab 4x4 164.2" WB 8’ Box with 6.7L V8 Turbo Diesel engine
- 2023 Ford F-250 Supercab 4x4 164.2" WB 8’ Box with 6.7L V8 H.O. Turbo Diesel engine
- 2023 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 159.8" WB 6-3/4’ Box with 6.7L V8 Turbo Diesel engine
- 2023 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 159.8" WB 6-3/4’ Box with 6.7L V8 H.O. Turbo Diesel engine
- 2023 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 176.0" WB 8’ Box with 6.7L V8 H.O. Turbo Diesel engine
As you can see, all of the highest-towing F-250 models come equipped with either a standard turbo diesel engine or high-output diesel engine. The key takeaway? For maximum F-250 towing capabilities, a Super Duty diesel truck is probably the best option.
Interested in a new F-250 with a particular engine? Here’s the maximum towing capacity rating for each Ford F-250 engine:
- 6.7L V8 Turbo Diesel: 22,000 lbs
- 6.7L V8 High Output Turbo Diesel: 22,000 lbs
- 6.8L V8 (Gas): 17,300 lbs (for Regular Cab 4x2 141.6" WB 8’ box models)
- 7.3L V8 (Gas): 18,200 lbs (for various cab and box configurations)
The Ford F-150 beats out much of the competition when it comes to maximum towing capacity. Here’s how it all shakes down.
- The 2023 Chevy Silverado 2500HD tows up to a maximum of 16,000 pounds.
- The 2023 GMC Sierra 2500 can tow up to a maximum of 18,500 pounds.
- The 2023 RAM 2500 can tow up to a maximum of 15,620 pounds.
Clearly, The Ford F-250 is the winner when it comes to towing the most compared to other segment-leading heavy duty trucks in the three-quarter ton weight-class.
Curious to see how much more the F-250 can tow by engine, cab, and bed style when it comes to 5th wheel/gooseneck towing? Want additional information about other ways the F-250 stacks up against other leading three-quarter-ton HD trucks? Seth Wadley Ford can help!
It has always been our goal to challenge perceptions of the “traditional car dealership”. We are motivated by the desire to be truly supportive — not just “make a sale”. We hope that shows in the information found here.
If you’ve found this post helpful, but have any other questions or concerns whatsoever, don’t hesitate to reach out. We know that buying a truck is a big commitment, and you want to be informed.
Ready to find your next truck? Take a peek at our new and used trucks now.